CUSTER, S.D. — Black Hills National Forest Christmas tree permits are now available for purchase from November 12th to December 24th.
The cost is $10 per tree with a maximum of 5 trees per account. If purchasing your permit online, an additional $2.50 processing fee per-pass is charged. Details about where to cut your tree and height restrictions can be found here.
Permits may also be purchased at the following retailers:
- In Rapid City: RC Hardware 770 Mountain View Road Phone: 605-343-5150
- In Hill City: Heart of the Hills Exxon C-Store 201 Main Street Phone: 605-574-2077 OR Heart of the West Conoco 632 Main St Phone: 605-574-9001
- In Custer: Custer Ace Hardware 833 Mt. Rushmore Road Phone: 605-673-2227
- In Spearfish: Minitman Too 611 E. Jackson Boulevard Phone: 605-642-4793 (accepts cash or check only)
- In Sundance, Wyo.: Sundance Travel Center East Cleveland (Highway. 14) Phone: 307-283-1200
- In Sturgis: Cenex Convenience Store 2030 Lazelle Street Phone: 605-347-3305
- In Deadwood: Deadwood History and Information Center 3 Siever Street Phone 605-578-2507 OR Deadwood Chamber of Commerce Welcome Center 501 Main Street Phone 605-578-1876 OR Steel Wheel Trading Post 21399 U.S. Highway 385 Phone: 605-578-9767
The U.S. Forest Service encourages those intending to use a permit to make sure they carefully read the overview and need-to-know information prior to purchasing their permit. All permits must be printed and visible when going to cut your tree.
“For many families, venturing into a National Forest to cut their Christmas tree for the holidays is a treasured tradition carried on for generations,” said Scott Jacobson, Public Affairs Officer.
Many National Forest roads are subject to seasonal closures. Free Motor Vehicle Use maps can be found online here, or by downloading the Avenza App.
Additionally, all 4th and 5th graders throughout the U.S. receive a FREE Christmas tree permit as part of the Every Kid Outdoors Program. If utilizing the online system, please enter the voucher or pass number when prompted.
For more information on Christmas Tree permits, contact the Black Hills National Forest Supervisor’s Office at 605-673-9200 or visit their website.