SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — Beloved chef and television personality Guy Fieri brought his famous Food Network show, Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, to Sioux Falls back in January 2020.
The “Mayor of Flavortown” visited several restaurants across the city, including:
- Urban Chislic: Urban Chislic is all about South Dakota’s signature dish with a twist. Guests can customize their order by picking their meat and sauce or rub, with selections like Asian Bourbon, Chipotle BBQ, Bone Dust, and more. To sample what Guy tried, order the pork chislic BBQ sandwich and the Regret Burger.
- Lalibela Restaurant: The oldest Ethiopian restaurant in the city, Lalibela has been a longtime favorite in the Sioux Falls foodie community. Serving up dishes in the traditional style, on shareable platters served with injera. Guy sampled Lalibela favorites doro wot and misir wot.
- ‘O’ So Good: ‘O’ So Good, located in nearby Garretson, offers small-town diner flair that combines comfort food and seafood with a southern twist. On the show, viewers will see Guy try the restaurant’s signature jerk chicken dinner, shrimp cheesy hot plate and a side of collard greens.
- Bread & Circus Sandwich Kitchen: A newer establishment in the Sioux Falls culinary scene, Bread & Circus has made a name for itself with locals and visitors alike with a diverse sandwich menu and focus on high quality, seasonal ingredients.
- Look’s Marketplace: Known by locals as a “foodie’s paradise,” Look’s Marketplace boasts multiple kitchens serving up a wide variety of eats such as tacos, pizza, sausage, baked goods, ice cream, an extensive dinner menu and signature beers brewed in-house. While you’re waiting for your food, you can also walk through their marketplace and shop meats, take-and-bake meals, seasonings, freshly baked bread, and more.
South Dakota’s featured restaurants will appear in three re-aired episodes during the month of January:
- “South Dakota Smorgasbord” will re-air on January 23 at 6 p.m. CDT.
- “Spicin’ Things Up” will re-air on January 30 at 6 p.m. CDT.
- “Savory Meat and a Little Sweet” will air on January 29 at 8 p.m. CDT.
The South Dakota episodes are extra special because it completed the show’s original goal of visiting all 50 states. After airing, featured restaurants saw a large uptick in customers, creating longer-than-normal wait times and adjusted operations. Restaurant owners say they are humbled by the amount of support they have received, and only ask that customers be patient and understanding as they try to keep up with demand.
“South Dakota’s culinary scene offers a lot to explore, more than most people are expecting when they visit our state,” says Governor Kristi Noem. “There are many must-try regional specialties like chislic, bison, and kuchen that can’t be missed, but you’ll also find flavors from around the world. I’m so glad Guy finally made it to our great state, and I hope he comes back soon.”
In celebration of the feature, Experience Sioux Falls is giving-away a weekend getaway package where the winners can re-create the stops Guy and his crew visited, along with gift cards to each restaurant and a three-night stay. To enter the sweepstakes, visit Experience Sioux Falls online here.
For more information about Sioux Falls’ featured restaurants, visit South Dakota Tourism online here.